Porst is a large chain of photo-shops in Germany. They're selling some "relabled" goods under the name "Porst" - in most cases much cheaper than the "original":
- It looks like most "Porst"-Super8-cameras have been produced by Bauer/Silma. Nevertheless at least one model has been produced by Chinon. (There's still a small chance that other models have been produced by Eumig or Cosina.)
- Some of "Porst"-Super8-projectors have been produced by Eumig and Norris.
- The "Porst"-Super8-filmstock was produced by Agfa from 1983 to 1990. Before 1983 the "Porst"-cartridges contained "Sakuracolor SCA".
Unfortunately Porst has stopped its general support for Super8. Hence it heavily depends on each shop whether you'll still find some Kodak-Super8-filmstock, some reels, some press-tape, ... . They're still selling tripods, ..., though.
The main arguments for selling the "Porst"-items cheaper than the "original" ones have been buying larger quantities (and hence getting rebates from the producers) and offering other terms of warranties. Nevertheless it's still very difficult to say whether some "Porst"-cameras are exactly the same as their "original"-counterparts:
- The model-numbers have been changed in most cases.
- In most cases the lenses have been -at least- relabeled. Since you won't find any hint whether the lenses' coatings are as good as the "original" ones, there's no proof whether the lenses are the same or of minor quality (and hence cheaper).
- The manuals have been replaced.
- Sometimes even the microphones or other accessories (bags, remote releases, eye-pieces, ...) differ.
- It might happen that some models have been sold under their original names from 1976-77 (e.g.), while the "Porst"-versions have been available 1978-79. Of course this doesn't matter anymore, since both versions are now "outdated". ;-)
The final question for the actual Super8-second-hand-market: Will the "Porst"-items be as good as the "original" ones? The answer is: yes. Since everyone knew the real origins of the "Porst"-items, no company wanted to ruin its reputation this way. Nevertheless you'll notice that the "Porst"-models mainly reflect Bauer's/Silma's/Chinon's/Eumig's/... low-cost or mid-range product-lines. Hence you'll mainly find "work horses" and no real "flagships" in this section.
- Porst in the camera-wiki.org
- Some comments about Porst and their cameras
- Porst's History (German)
- (service) manuals, ... (mainly German)
Pages in category "Porst"
The following 56 pages are in this category, out of 56 total.